Sunday, January 11, 2015

Making the Escape to FREEDOM

Recently I was fortunate enough to find an opportunity that was able to lead me out of California and into the free state of Idaho, and I have to say, I like the change of environment.  

Life up here is different and the same.  I live in a good size town, not too far away from Boise.  Housing costs are cheap up here, and the standard of living is high.  People up here are a different breed than those from Los Angeles too it seems.  People here seem to value life and respect others in general.  The breakdown of the family unit is not nearly as prevalent here as it is elsewhere, and I do strongly believe that that has a big part to play in it.

Once I was settled into my new digs and my new job, I made time to head over to the local DMV office to obtain my new states driving license.  While I was there, I also dropped off an application for my very own Concealed Carry Permit.  I handed the nice lady behind the counter my packed that had my application and much of my firearms training history.  She was impressed that I had everything so prepared, and I could tell she appreciated me doing some of the work for her.  I was then fingerprinted and informed that it would take somewhere between two weeks and 30 days to receive my permit, if I passed the background check.

Well, somewhere around three weeks after my DMV visit, I received a letter stating that my application was approved and that I could re-visit the DMV office to pay my fee and receive my temporary permit.  This was fine with me and I promptly headed over there at the first chance I had.

This all happened three months ago, and I must say, it feels good to be able to legally carry to protect myself and my loved ones.  Carrying a firearm has just become, well... Routine.  My daily actions however, no longer are.

I find myself more aware of my surroundings.  I was never un-aware before, but now I find myself noticing much more in the people around me.  How they walk, where their focus is, what they have in their hands and so on.  I wouldn't call it paranoid, because I don't fear these people, I would just call it curious.   That being said, I recent ran across an article that I think sums up my new perception in my daily life just about perfectly.  It was written by an active Reserve Police Officer in Iowa and published by the Gazette.  Please read the article, it may put a lot of what we "sheep dog" citizens do on a daily basis into perspective for many others that just don't understand.

http://thegazette.com/subject/opinion/guest-columnists/i-carry-a-gun-every-day-20150104

What are your thoughts on the subject?

No comments:

Post a Comment