Thursday, December 27, 2012

Remington 700 SPS Tactical, A Long Term Evolution (pt.2)

Remington 700 SPS Tactical

A Long Term Evolution (pt.2)

Part one can be found here

...


I began shopping around and asking a lot of people I shoot with if I could look through their optics.  A few really stuck out to me in terms of overall quality and value.  The big names out there all make really excellent stuff, much of it way too far out of my price range for me to even consider it.  


Schmidt&Bender glass is some of the best that I have ever looked through.  The turrets are top notch and the end products that they put out are arguably the best out there, period.  


I also looked through US Optics, which makes a very nice package, with clarity coming in as a close second to Schmidt&Bender, but with some really nice options such as the EREK turret that offers fine elevation adjustments, but also allows the shooter to dial in massive amounts of elevation in just one revolution.


Vortex and Leupold also offered a lot of value for money.  The Viper PST is a very good optic to beat, but the reticle options left me wanting more.  The Leupold Mk4 was another scope that was almost everything I wanted, but just not quite right.  The turrets were sub-par in my opinion and was really the ultimate reason why I passed up on it.


I eventually settled on a Bushnell HDMR with the G2DMR reticle.  It had everything I wanted, crystal clear glass with no chromatic aberration, a very good reticle that allows for precise windage and elevation holds (if you shoot the reticle instead of dialing the turrets) and the locking turrets feel rock solid with excellent tactile feedback when dialing in adjustments.  I was sold on it, and a little more than a thousand dollars later, I had one mounted in some 35mm Seekins rings and attached to my rifle.  

  • The Bushnell HDMR scope mounted and the Falcon sitting next to it.

While I was upgrading the glass, I also decided to add a muzzle-brake and upgrade the ammunition feeding system as well.  I bought myself a Shrewd-Brake and a Seekins Detachable Bottom Metal conversion kit and inletted the stock to accept it.  While I was doing that, I gave my barreled action to Gary Eliseo of Competition Shooting Machine (www.gotxring.com) to thread the barrel for the brake.  Now I had a standard Remington 700SPS Tactical  in a nice stock with a good scope and the ability to feed it with 5 and 10 round detachable magazines.  

  • The rifle with the Brake, Scope and DBM all installed, in the HS precision stock.

I was pretty happy with the rifle. It was shooting great and the scope was fantastic.  Unfortunately for my wallet though, I kept shooting matches with Gary Eliseo and some of the guys that have had Gary build chassis for their rifles.  I had the opportunity to shoot a couple of Eliseo RTS guns and decided that with all the adjustability and improved ergonomics and features that I should get myself one also.


So a few months ago, I called Gary up at his shop and told him just how much I wanted one of his RTS chassis'.  He obliged and put me on the list for one to be built.  I decided I wanted the "Varminter" model that offered a slightly shorter hand-guard, but still offered the fully adjustable butt.  I also decided I wanted it in Cerakoted in Flat-Dark-Earth.

Well about a month ago I dropped off my barreled action to Gary and let him go to town on it. I also dropped off a Timney tactical straight shoe trigger for him to modify (no-more mechanical safety) and install.  I got it a few days later fully assembled and beautiful.  I was shooting in one of Garys tactical matches in 2 days, so I mounted up my Bushnell HDMR, set the trigger to a crisp 1.5lbs and hit the range to get my zero's.  

  • The new Eliseo RTS chassis. The evolution is complete.. For now.

Needless to say, I couldn't be happier with the overall evolution of this rifle.  I really am very pleased with it.  Now all I need to do is figure out what caliber to re-barrel it to if I ever become bored with the .308.  HA!

  • Here is everything that the rifle went through leading up to the Eliseo RTS chassis.
  1. Stock Hogue overmold stock
  2. Falcon Menace Scope #1
  3. Falcon Menace Scope #2
  4. Seekins Detachable Magazine kit
  5. HS Precision Stock
  6. Factory X-Mark Pro trigger

1 comment:

  1. Hi! You’ve written a great blog content
    I was searching for reliable info about this topic
    This has fully drawn my whole attention
    I am here for my good luck
    Keep continue with your hard work!
    Here is one of my recommended sites you may visit to learn more: Click on the
    no text anchor to read more about best scope for 308

    ReplyDelete